ACIDITY OF TRIPE12 April 2022
WHY DOES MILK PRODUCTION DECLINE?12 April 2022
Definition: There are various reasons for not eating or cutting back from feed, which is often observed in dairy cattle. Dairy cattle are very sensitive animals; they choose feed very easily in the manger and they notice feed changes very easily. Apart from these, they normally cannot consume much feed for 1-2 weeks after calving. In some diseases (rumen acidity, ketosis), they are cut off.
Causes of Occurrence:
- During the weaning period, cows with body fat as a result of excessive feeding are cut off from the feed following calving and become ill (Ketosis), as a result, feed consumption is adversely affected,
- Eating factory feeds in powder form in large quantities and deterioration of stomach acidity,
- IMMEDIATE FACTORY FEED CHANGES and feeding excessive amounts of feed in the first place,
- Feeding fodders such as spoiled, moldy, heated or frozen straw (silage) and factory feeds,
- Cut from feed due to heat stress in extremely hot weather,
- Observed as a result of microbial diseases not eating or being cut off from feed,
Type of Treatment and Prevention:
In cases of not eating or being cut off from feed, the amount of feed consumed by animals should be reduced or divided into at least 2 portions per day and placed in front of the animal as fresh. Smelly baits should never be poured in front of animals. During the weaning period, animals should not be overfed, and ketosis should be prevented during the approaching milking period and they should be provided with adequate feed. The baits should not be too dusty or contaminated with foreign material. Since feed consumption will decrease in hot seasons, alternative ration changes should be made. Clean water should always be available in front of animals. In cases of not eating food due to microbial diseases, a veterinarian should be consulted as soon as possible.